Canceled finale? Concerts in doubt? Inside LIV Golf's uncertain finishing stretch

LIV Golf’s 2026 season will end this week, even if LIV hasn’t acknowledged as much.

For weeks, golf fans have heard whispers of the league’s shortened season via reports from various outlets, but LIV’s official channels haven’t addressed the matter, leaving interested parties, including ticket-holders, in the dark.

As of Monday morning, 10 days before the would-be first round of LIV’s team championship in Michigan, the league’s website still had the tournament, slated for The Cardinal at St. John’s, listed as an “upcoming event.” The site included links to “Get Tickets,” but when users accessed it, they received a notification that read “the tickets you were looking for are no longer available…”

While that messaging might appear innocuous, GOLF.com has learned that it was, in fact, strategic, an effort by the league to maintain the appearance — if only for a few additional days — that the event might still happen.

Late in the evening of Aug. 12, in the wake of a Telegraph report that LIV told players the event was canceled, LIV quietly pulled all ticket listings for the Michigan event. (Incidentally, at that point the league was still distributing promotional emails encouraging recipients to buy tickets.) According to an internal email viewed by GOLF.com, LIV’s head of ticketing and hospitality, Michael Drobnick, laid out a plan for limiting media attention around the cancellation of one of the league’s biggest events.

“The ticketing page will remain live, but no inventory will be available,” Drobnick wrote to ticket and hospitality staffers. “If a guest visits the page to view tickets, they will see a message that says, ‘The tickets you were looking for are no longer available.’”

The plan also requested that LIV’s ticketing partner, Fever, continue holding off any response to questions it was receiving until LIV could make an announcement. That announcement still has not come. As was reported by MyGolfSpy and The Detroit News, fans could still buy tickets to the Michigan event in the middle of last week, well after it was known internally that it had been canceled.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by GOLF.com // GOLF Magazine (@golf_com)

“After discussing with [LIV executives] Scott [O’Neil], Chris [Heck] and Ilana [Finley], we think this is the best path forward for now,” Drobnick’s message continued. “It allows us to keep the ticketing page live, hopefully avoiding additional media flags by removing it entirely, while also ensuring guests cannot proceed through the checkout process.

“Hopefully in the next 24-48 hours, we’ll have the green light to officially make the announcement. At that point, we will remove the ticketing page entirely.” 

It’s unclear what “green light” LIV was (or is) awaiting, and from whom, but one LIV source called the slow-play tactic a mitigation effort to appease the Saudi PIF, LIV’s owner, which promised it would fully fund the league through the rest of the 2026 season. Multiple LIV players — Tyrrell Hatton, Tom McKibbin and Adrian Meronk — have already moved on with their plans, signing up for the DP World Tour’s British Masters, which is the same week as the would-be team championship.

LIV did not respond to multiple inquiries from GOLF.com.

The duties of a league facing cancellations cross into an ethical gray area, but communicating in a timely manner with ticket-buyers and potential attendees is widely considered a baseline standard for event management. Purposely delaying announcements could undercut any latent belief that the challenged league might regain its footing as it continues into shaky financial territory. 

This week’s now-final event, just north of Indianapolis, has for months touted Friday and Saturday evening concerts from country-music star Thomas Rhett and DJ Disco Lines, respectively. But in recent days both concerts have found similar uncertainty, as LIV staff was told late last week that the concerts were also bound to be canceled. Then, over the weekend, info about the headliners and concerts was quietly removed from LIV’s website as well. The toolbar navigation atop LIV’s Indianapolis ticketing site lists a “Concerts” tab, but the link doesn’t go anywhere.

Representatives from both performers did not respond to request for comment, but Disco Lines’ official list of tour stops does not include the LIV concert. Rhett’s website still includes the Indy date, but clicking through its “Buy Tickets” tab reveals a dead link. Additionally, the press releases for both concert announcements — published online in late March and mid-May and cached by search engines — have been scrubbed from LIV’s site.

Whether or not the concerts take place is intertwined with the golf that’s being played; both are integral pieces of LIV’s spectator experience. The league’s existence has worked off the premise of a festival-like combination of sport and music, blending golf by day into music by night. Just one ticket required. For proof of the role music has played in boosting attendance, look no further than LIV’s raucous event in South Africa, featuring DJ Calvin Harris’ first-ever visit to the continent. In most cases, spectators have been able to buy a “concert experience upgrade” to gain streamlined access to the first rows of the crowd, right next to the stage. For months, LIV’s Indianapolis event offered this music-only add-on, but those tickets and any links referring viewers to them are no longer available, just days before the concerts were scheduled to take place.

As for the golf still scheduled for Indianapolis, LIV is expected to announce that elements of the canceled team championship will be folded into the proceedings at The Club at Chatham Hills. The tournament starts Thursday.

The post Canceled finale? Concerts in doubt? Inside LIV Golf’s uncertain finishing stretch appeared first on Golf.